Welcome back to the 3rd and final installment of Protein for Dummies.
Lets start by analyzing our current diet and specifically our protein intake. Remember from article II about the different forms of protein. Our goal is to try and get 3 out of the 4 types of protein on a daily basis. There are some days where we will get all 4.
We’re currently dieting (body fat loss phase) preparing for our show- The Golden State Classic in Santa Barbara CA March 22nd. If you remember from article I, a rule of thumb when dieting is to consume 1gm of protein per pound of lean body weight. Jay currently weighs 214 pounds and is around 6.8% body fat. Monica is 130 pounds with a body fat % of about 11%
Doing the math -this makes Jay strive for 200 grams of protein while Monica needs 117 grams to maintain muscle tissue and allow our bodies to burn calories at an optimal rate. To keep our bodies consistently protein nourished, we will attempt to eat every 4 hours.
Here is what our current diet looks like with emphasis on our protein intake per feeding/meal:
- Meal 1: Protein Shake– Muscle Milk 2 Scoops-1 Scoop Muscle Pharm Combat Powder Cookies and Cream-1 Scoop Myo Fusion Peanut Butter Cookie Dough (this is an awesome shake). This provides about 85 grams of protein. We blend it up early in the morning and Jay consumes about 60% and Monica 40%. (We usually throw in Cinnamon and also 3-4 Tablespoons of Udo’s Oil)
- Meal 2: 6 Trader Joes Turkey Meatballs (36 grams Protein).(Animal-Complete Protein)
- Meal 3: Same as Meal 2 (36 grams Protein) (Animal-Complete Protein)
- Meal 4: (if training day) Post Workout Shake with Muscle Milk Vanilla 2 Scoops-1 Scoop Muscle Pharm Combat Powder Cookies and Cream-1 Scoop Myo Fusion Peanut Butter Cookie Dough-Same split with the wife as always. (85 gms of Protein 40% to wife and rest to me)
- Meal 5: Dinner with proteins coming from one of the following. *Ground Turkey* *Salmon* *Chicken* *Lean red meat* or *Egg Whites* (40-45 grams of Protein per person) (Animal-Complete Protein)
- Meal 6: on Re-Feed Days (surplus of calories post training for 60-90 minutes every 5th or 6th day depending on condition)it will be another Protein Shake similar to Meal 4 Post Workout-with MCT Oil
Add it all up and you’ll see we always err on the side of caution to get more protein than our daily goal. We do this because over the course of the week due to our ever changing hectic schedules, there are days where we get less than required. Cumulatively by overeating on some days and under eating on others, we’ll consistently meet or exceed our protein requirements week to week.
Why do we take the Protein supplements listed above? Because we know and trust the brands. The supplement industry is for the most part wholly unregulated. But many of the manufacturers have been around for a long time. You can use these powder supplements in protein shakes, oatmeal, and while cooking (pancakes-oat muffins-etc). They are also convenient to carry around with you in plastic bags while traveling to add to a shaker bottle with water for some instant ready to drink protein during the course of the day.
Muscle Pharm has been making Combat Powder for more than 3 years now. It’s an ultra protein spectrum mix discussed in article II and it tastes awesome. The flavors we use are Cookies and Cream and we purchase it in bulk 4 pound containers at Costco. Two scoops provides 50 grams of the highest quality easily digesting proteins available.
Gaspari Nutrition is another reputable Protein manufacturer we’ve been using for awhile now. They make an excellent ultra protein spectrum mix known as MyoFusion. It comes in 3 delicious flavors but we prefer the Peanut Butter Cookie Dough formulation. One scoop also provides 25 grams of protein.
Probably the base and most crucial protein supplement we use is Muscle Milk. I’m sure most of you have used-seen or heard of it due to its widespread availability in the mainstream. Does anybody really know why it’s widely available? Because it’s a true protein super food. Muscle Milk in its various formulations (Powder–MRP’s(Meal Replacement Packages),RTDs, Oatmeal, Protein Bars etc) contains EFA’s (essential fatty acids) mixed into the protein formulation. It was actually patented by a Doctor for burn and wasting patients years ago. He realized it’s potential use for the health and fitness industry as a true protein super food formulation and a gigantic cottage industry was born.
Muscle Milk powder is the foundation of our protein regimen because the extra EFA’s found in the matrix help with brain functioning, nerve growth and fat loss. Essential Fatty Acids and their importance to an athlete/physique augmenter should not be underestimated. We consistently carry Muscle Milk powder with us when on the road. When traveling, one of the first places we stop is a health food store/pharmacy to buy some pre-packaged Muscle Milk RTDs for additional protein during the course of the day.
We hope you have found the information contained in these articles useful. We encourage you to visit our site and ask questions or comment about anything as it relates to improving your body and performance thru food and nutrition.
Consistent protein intake is ESSENTIAL to building and maintaining an exception physique. Not consuming enough quality protein on a day in day out basis, is the quickest way to derail your efforts at improving your appearance.
Be the BEST YOU at Any Age!