As a hard training fitness athlete or anyone looking to lose body fat and increase muscle, harnessing the power of your body’s insulin production is critical. One of the best ways to do this is through the usage of Glucose Disposal Agents when carb cycling.
Insulin is a key to muscle growth and recovery and is also essential for nutrient uptake and protein synthesis, . Although insulin is the most powerful hormone in the body, it’s also a double-edged sword. Insulin is directly responsible for the usage and storage of glucose from carbohydrates in the diet. Glucose is stored as glycogen in muscle or liver tissue, but it CAN ALSO BE STORED AS BODY FAT. You want to avoid insulin being stored as body fat at all costs.
Fortunately, we do have some influence as to where insulin is directed in the bloodstream. Glucose disposal agents (GDAs) are supplements which help the body break down carbs and then store them in the form of muscle glycogen. Glucose Disposal Agents optimize the power of insulin by improving the bodies physical response to exercise- creating a leaner, more toned, and healthier physique.
So what are the most effective Glucose Disposal Agents? How do they work in the body? How are they best used in combination with a Carb Cycling diet?
- Alpha Lipoic Acid-ALA is definitely the BE ALL-END ALL of Glucose Disposal Agents. It’s a potent anti-oxidant(water soluble) and also helps regenerating damaged livers (For all your drinkers reading our blog). Most importantly-its a potent regulator of blood sugar. Dosage should be 600mgs to 1.5 grams post workout to maximize the uptake of amino acids(protein) and carbs for optimal recovery.
- Cinnamon-Even though it’s not a supplement per say, (a spice) it has an amazing ability to convert sugar/glucose into stored glycogen in muscle cells. We add Cinnamon to every protein shake we drink. It is also highly recommended to add it to your oatmeal, yams etc. Dosage–Add a good bit to every Carb Laden Protein shake, your oats and or yams.
- Gymnema Sylvestre-this is a potent Indian Herb which has the remarkable ability to reduce sugar cravings and reduce overall sugar levels in the blood. You can buy it on Amazon right here and you should right now. Dosage–300-500mgs with every Carb Meal
- Chromium-this is probably the oldest known Glucose Disposal Agent and the subject of much research and controversy. Chromium in a big enough dosage is highly effective as it has a unique ability to open the receptors of muscle cells allowing insulin to improve glycogen and amino acid uptake. Dosage is 300-500mcgs every carb meal of Chromium Picolinate (alot of the better blood sugar regulation supplements have Chromium, Cinnamon and Gymnema Sylvestre packed into one formulation which makes it easier swallowing them-a great formulation is Nature’s Way Blood Sugar.)
- Metformin-otherwise known as Glucophage is not a supplement but a potent anti-diabetic drug which is AWESOME in its ability to manage insulin resistance by lowering the amount of glucose found in the blood. There are many Life Extension Foundation Doctors (LEF) who advocate the usage of Metformin daily for its ability to decrease blood sugar and reduce the prevalence of Type II Diabetes (otherwise known as Adult Onset Diabetes)Dosage –500mgs-1gm twice a day
The best way to detail the proper usage of Glucose Disposal Agents’s is by showing how they are dosed (to minimize and/or control the body’s insulin production) in a sample days food intake from a hard training carb cycler like Jay.
Be the BEST YOU at Any Age!